Vegetable Coconut Mango Curry
Anything I add curry to tends to become a one of my favorite dishes. My love of cooking and intense flavors means I often experiment and rarely follow recipes. When I make a new dish or food for the first time, I usually check out a few recipes in a cookbook or online and then tailor my creation to my personal preferences and based on ingredients I already have (unless I decide to plan ahead; then I may get grab a few specific ingredients).
The first and last curry recipe I looked at was one from "Cooking Light" several years ago and featured coconut milk, curry powder, lime juice, salt, and pepper and recommended adding bell pepper and onion. It was very basic but delicious all the same. From this base recipe, I have come up with a few variations to either add ingredients that would otherwise go to waste or to experiment with new flavors and textures. I recently created the recipe below and it was and instant favorite, so I decided to share it here.
This recipe features turmeric (a new favorite spice of mine), hummus, and mango.
- Turmeric is a popular ingredient in Indian cooking and part of the ginger family. Some people believe compounds called curcuminoids found in turmeric help fight inflammation, but research on this isn't strong or conclusive at this time. Either way, it's pretty tasty!
- Hummus (a blend of garbanzo beans, sesame seed paste (tahini), lemon juice, oil, and seasonings) provides another element of flavor and creaminess, while adding fiber, protein, and unsaturated fats.
- Mangoes add sweetness to help balance the spiciness of this recipe. They contain heart- and gut-friendly fiber; are an excellent source of antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E) and folate; and are a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin K, copper, and potassium.
- 3 large bell peppers, julienned
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, julienned
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 15-oz cans coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 3/4 cup hummus (original or red pepper)
- 1 mango, diced
- 4 cups cooked rice or quinoa