Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you love chocolate chip cookies, you're going to love these. They are soft and never crumbly with just the right amount of sweetness. Importantly, they are nutrient-dense and filling with fiber, fat, and a little protein. These cookies are made gluten-free and dairy-free and can be incorporated into a Paleo lifestyle. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder*
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour*
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt or pink salt
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- ½ cup + ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
*Note: You can add 1/3 cup almond flour in place of arrowroot powder and coconut flour.
- Add eggs, milk, butter or oil, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a small bowl and blend together with a fork or whisk.
- In a large bowl, combine and mix flours, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and ½ cup coconut flakes.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and combine with a spatula or fork until well combined.
- Place bowl with cookie dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to harden slightly.
- About 10 minutes before removing the dough from the fridge, preheat oven to 350°F and line 1 large or 2 small cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a large spoon, scoop cookie dough then form into a ball with your hands and place on cookie sheet. Repeat this process until all dough is used, then press down in the center of each dough ball with a fork to flatten slightly to about ½ inch thick.
- If desired, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup coconut flakes on top of the cookies and press into the cookies slightly.
- Bake cookies in oven (one cookie sheet at a time) for 13 minutes at 350°F, then increase the temperature to 500°F (or broil on high)* and continue baking for 5 more minutes, for a total of 18 minutes.
*Note: Leave the cookies in the oven while the temperature increases to 500°F/broil. The last 5 minutes includes this time and is meant to give the cookies a nice golden-brown hue.